11 3 / 2014
Anonymous asked: Do you ever wonder why we have canines if we're not meant to eat meat?
Not really, because a presence of canine teeth does not equal meat-eater. Canine teeth are present in more groups than carnivora and are also used for more things than simply slicing meat. Here are some examples of herbivores, frugivores and mostly-vegetation-eating omnivores who’s canines have no affect whatsoever on meat/flesh.
Diet: Leaves, twigs, fruit, bark, roots.
Uses: Fighting, digging, stripping bark, carrying/moving things
Diet: Leaves, stems, pith, shoots, some fruit, and the occasional insect
Uses: Fighting, crushing hard plant materials, piercing fruits.
Diet: Grass, some aquatic plants.
Diet: Leaves, flowers, grasses, some mosses and lichens
Uses: Fighting, digging/foraging
Diet: Grass (up to 90% of their diet), flowers, roots, fruit, thistles, other plant materials.
Diet: dry grasses and vegetation, thorny plants
Uses: Crushing hard plant material, piercing cacti
Diet: agave, mesquite beans, prickly pear, roots, tubers, nuts, fruit
Uses: Fighting, piercing cacti (a primary source of nourishment)
10 3 / 2014
First time watching fireworks:
First time being dunked into water that’s way too cold:
First time getting caught in a bubble shower:
First time driving through a dark tunnel:
First time chatting with a puppet:
First time finding a new recipe in a cooking magazine:
First time forgetting how spoons work:
First time seeing ice cream:
Whenever I’m feeling sad, I look at this and realise how fucking amazing the world is
09 3 / 2014
the-vegan-elves asked: Number 21. :)
That’s hard, because there are sooo many heroes out there, but if I had to choose I guess it would be Joaquin Phoenix, because I just generally love him as an actor and he seems so kind. :)
09 3 / 2014
Questions for Vegans/Vegetarians
- 1. How long have you been Vegan/Vegetarian?
- 2. What turned you Vegan/Vegetarian?
- 3. What's your favourite meat substitute?
- 4. Be honest, did you enjoy the taste of meat and/or dairy before giving it up?
- 5. What's your favourite dairy-free milk?
- 6. If you were to try and persuade someone to go Vegan/Vegetarian by showing them just 3 YouTube videos, what would you show them and why?
- 7. What's your favourite Vegan/Vegetarian meal and what's the recipe?
- 8. Do you take any vitamin supplements and if so what?
- 9. Favourite farmed animal and why?
- 10. Have you ever been to a farm sanctuary?
- 11. Do you sponsor any animals and if so what species and what organisation are they with?
- 15. Favourite Vegan/Vegetarian celebrity and why?
- 16. Are your family also Vegan/Vegetarian? Regardless of the answer, how does this impact you?
- 17. Put these in order of most important reasons to go Vegan/Vegetarian to least- For the sake of the animals, for the sake of the environment, for the sake of finance and for the sake of your health. Why did you choose this order?
- 20. Was your transition to becoming Vegan/Vegetarian gradual or done in one go?
- 21. Favourite animal activist and why?
- 25. What's the most common question/comment you receive regarding being Vegan/Vegetarian?
- 26. Which question frustrates/annoys you the most regarding being Vegan/Vegetarian?
- 27. What are your thoughts on the quote- The punishment should fit the crime with regards to animal cruelty?
- 28. Favourite cruelty free toiletries?
- 29. How do you feel about 'humane' farms eg. ones that genuinely allow their animals to roam freely until death?
- 30. If you had to persuade someone to become Vegan/Vegetarian in one short paragraph, what would you say?